[Esd-l] Klez@ worm/virus

Peter Hanecak hanecak at megaloman.com
Thu Apr 18 23:53:00 PDT 2002

Hello,

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, John D. Hardin wrote:

> How badly would this annoy people?

I poisoned ALL .exe files for a long time and while "my" user base is
small, it has been not dificult to explain to them why it is so ("better
no .exe than risking virus"). It took just my time to sort through
quarantine.

Later, for a month or so, I'm stripping .exe files instead of poisoning
them - it saves me time. Just users get what they did not get before - messages
without attachments with security notice - mostly automaticaly sended
worms, thus it was confusing them at the begining ("why is this unknown
person sending me nothing?"). But again, it is not that hard to explain
("ignore what's not plain and what you do not know").

Of course sometimes it's not quite ... well effective. Example: Someone
sending to us 20MB of photos in self extracting ZIP archive with, of
course, .exe extension. It took a a time to arrive and then it gets
stripped just because someone is sending software instead of just plain
data. Plain ignorance in todays world of Internet. But ... you can't solve
everything with just one usefull, but little piece of software. :)

Sincerely

Peter