[Esd-l] Sanitizer 1.130 released

John D. Hardin jhardin at impsec.org
Sun Sep 9 11:27:01 PDT 2001

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Egan wrote:

> >I've decided to delay moving over to the Anomy project until after a
> >stable 2.x sanitizer ships, for various reasons including the feeling
> >that there should be alternative solutions available.
>
> I looked at their site, but the question was not clear to me:
> what are the primary advantages/disadvantages of Anomy?

There are two major differences:

1) Anomy is a pure-perl solution, wheras my sanitizer is a hybrid of
perl and procmail. My sanitizer allows you do to related things (e.g.
the local-rules poisoning) in procmail a little more easily.

2) Anomy is built around a more general-purpose and modular base (the
MIMEStream module) and thus is more easily extensible (in Perl) than
my hideous conglomeration of programming-by-accretion write-only Perl
code. :)

Anomy right now has hooks for easily calling external virus scanners,
whereas I have yet to add that. (Soon, I hope.)

My plans (see http://www.impsec.org/mailtools/development/sanitizer/)
will make the sanitizer somewhat more customizable than Anomy.

I don't have any comparative data on performance or system load.

> We are an ISP, and perl startup performance is a concern.

Does anybody know if undump is still a viable solution for speeding up
perl script startup?

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ   ICQ#15735746   http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/
 jhardin at impsec.org        pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin