[Esd-l] running procmail through qmail system wide

Lenny Mastrototaro lenny at horizonlive.com
Tue Sep 4 09:21:02 PDT 2001

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 08:28:01AM +1000, Chris wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to work out how to run procmail with qmail system wide rather
> than on a per-user basis. I know I can do it by adding a couple of lines to
> each .qmail file but that seems really messy (plus would be very slow to do).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to do it?

You can make procmail the default delivery. See qmail-start(8).

Here's my /var/qmail/rc

    #!/bin/sh

    # Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
    # Using dot-forward to support sendmail-style ~/.forward files.
    # Using procmail to deliver messages to /var/spool/mail/$USER by default.

    exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
    qmail-start '|dot-forward .forward
    |preline procmail' splogger qmail

Note: I'm also dealing with .forward files which is optional.
Actually, I'm moving away from allowing .forward files because they
take effect before procmail.  This isn't an issue for messages addressed
locally because they will be processed by procmail during delivery, but
mail forwarded offsite will be unfiltered and potentially infected.

Note: you'll also need to make some simple edits to html-trap.procmail
to get things working with qmail because the sendmail wrapper that it
comes with doesn't handle the -U option. I just edit those lines,
dropping the -U option which seems to work for me.

Anyone care to explain what the sendmail -U option is for?

Regards,
Lenny

--
Lenny Mastrototaro        VP System Operations       HorizonLive.com
lenny at horizonlive.com  collaborate . interact . learn  (212)813-3867