[Esa-l] Convincing Users to Patch

Andre Kajita - Administrador da Rede admin at camarasjc.sp.gov.br
Wed May 2 11:33:39 PDT 2001

Greets,

I'm just now getting over an almost flamewar with a luser over
patching his MS OutLook(tm).  His LookOut's been sending my users
Hybris on a regular basis - three a day - and when I finally came
around to suggesting that he patch his system his response was - other
than "no, I won't" - plain and simple:

"I have better things to do than to patch my programs"

This got my blood boiling SO FAST I shut down my mail server to avoid
flaming the guy to kingdom come...  He isn't my luser - if he was his
boss would receive a formal complaint from the IT dept but I'd up
update his client in a few minutes - so in this case I can't educate
him in the follies of the Dark Side and teach him some proper BOFH
respect.

What I ask is - what can be done with these users?  I, as a network
admin, work hard to keep my systems up to date and 'secure' but I know
that one single "I'm not using Netscape" user is enough to put my
whole network at risk - how does someone manage to convince them to
practice safe-Outlooking?

Andre.
--
"Your password must be at least 18770 characters(...)"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q276/3/04.asp