[Esa-l] Doing mail filtering in Sendmail itself

Mark A. Hershberger mah at everybody.org
Tue May 1 09:30:59 PDT 2001

While perusing CPAN today, I came across the following module:

    Sendmail::Milter - Interface to sendmail's Mail Filter API

Apparently, using this module, you can embed mail filters into
the sendmail process itself and eliminate the forking overhead
that using procmail involves.  On large sites, this would be
extremely beneficial.

Also, I assume if the mail filters were written in Perl ina
modular way, one could use them under Exim's embeded perl
interpreter and, as a fallback for those who need it, also in
procmail.

I recall that someone here (who, I don't recall) was working on a
MIME::Stream module for Perl -- it seems like that would fit in
nicely.

Has anyone thought of this already and rejected it?

Mark.

--
		      ommnes exeunt in mysterium
		     All Things Lead into Mystery