[Esa-l] REQ: Translators

John D. Hardin jhardin at wolfenet.com
Tue Feb 20 20:49:33 PST 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

> Sure. I can do French; also Pig Latin.

:)

> Incidentally, this application requires very little
> internationalization. I wouldn't use a library. Instead, I'd
> define the strings in Perl assignment statements in an include
> file, and just swap include files to change languages.

The PGetText library looks to be very lightweight, and it's a lot
easier to work with:

1. Wrap translatable strings in gettext("") calls.

2. Run xgettext to extract them.

3. Insert the translations.

4. Compile the translation file.

I like the idea of 1+2 rather than trying to manage translation string
arrays explicitly in the code. It's a lot easier to do while
programming, and a lot less difficult to figure out for someone
trying to understand the program.

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ   ICQ#15735746   http://www.wolfenet.com/~jhardin/
 jhardin at wolfenet.com      pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin