[Esd-l] Weird behavior on some attachments

Mark Wendt wendt at kingcrab.nrl.navy.mil
Thu Dec 20 07:14:01 PST 2001

Eric,

         I've done that in the /etc/procmailrc, added the *.exe to the
/etc/procmail/stripped file, and MANGLE_EXTENSIONS.  It strips the
attachment just fine if the *.exe attachment was sent in an email from a
client such as Eudora.  It doesn't work on a *.exe attachment that was sent
from M$ Outlook (versions 2000 and 2002).  Using Outlook 2002, it sees the
attachment as a UUE attachment and it defangs the extension.  Using Outlook
2000, it sees the attachment as a MIME attachment, acts like it's stripping
the attachment, then leaves the MIME encoding as the body of the email.

         I'm hoping there's a hack I can use to treat the UUE and MIME
attachments from Outlook the same as an attachment from Eudora.

Mark