[Esa-l] Outgoing Mail

Christian Parigger cparigge at utsi.edu
Wed Aug 15 09:02:22 PDT 2001

Karl,

 Great to hear that you are working on "outgoing" filtering.

 I installed MIMEDefang in tandem with John's procmail and
 all is going well for sendmail 12.0beta16. The use of two filters
 can be of advantage, but it also may require a little tuning. Both
 are in use on a single machine (RH7.1)

 Personally, I envision to convert the procmail-scripts to an external
 filter for use in MIMEDefang. This way only one set of rules will
 have to be maintained. Do you know whether anybody has worked
 on that? Also, MIMEDefang's default policies are slightly different
 than John's procmail, and I would be happy to sustain a reasonable
 constant error message. Our users have now accepted the procmail
 rejection messages, "new" messages may subliminally imply a
 switchover to something new or it may imply "messing" with mail.

 Obviously, I am eager to hearing your solution of adapting the
 procmail (John's) ruleset by use of MIMEDefang or otherwise.

Christian Parigger