[Esa-l] Re: Idea: Multiple extension detector

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Mon Jun 12 14:21:31 PDT 2000

At 01:13 PM 6/12/2000, John D. Hardin wrote:

>The syntax of the poisoned-files list is a hybrid of standard regular
>expressions and standard file globbing - I wanted it to look more like
>extended file globbing than regular expressions, and entries get
>interpreted a little before the comparison. Periods may be bare, they
>will be escaped for the filename comparison RE; * and ? will be
>converted to .* and .? for the RE.

Is anything else pre-escaped, or just periods?

>After a bit of thought, a better version of the above is:
>
>   *.[a-z0-9]+.[a-z0-9]+
>
>Since the poisoning is only done on executable extensions, this will
>catch (for example) "fnord.txt.com" (assuming you don't already poison
>*.com).

I assume, since you're using only lowercase letters, that the filename
is downcased before comparison. Correct?

In any event, what we REALLY want to say in our pattern is

*.[a-z0-9]+.<executable-file-extension>

(which is ALMOST what we're saying already, but not quite).

--Brett