[Esa-l] forwarded emails slip through

Ken Thompson thompson at milestonesolutions.com
Mon Jun 12 04:29:31 PDT 2000

Mr. Hardin:

First, let me convey a sincere thanks for all your hard work. I'm
convinced you have prevented many significant disasters.

After the recent flurry of viri and worms, I've clamped my site down,
including mangling of .xls and .doc extensions. After the whining and
complaining ceased, one user noticed that forwarded email slips through
the filter w/o mangling leaving 'double-clickable extensions'. I believe
this is because a forwarded MIME header is preceded by '- ' in the
forwarding process but the 'boundary="..."' is not similarly modified in
the forwarded headers, or these headers are not examined.  This causes
the script to skip over these headers w/o mangling the names (or
probably scanning the content).

What I see in a forwarded emails headers are: