[Esa-l] Re: Felix Navidad ... Stripping Attachments

Bjarni R. Einarsson bre at netverjar.is
Fri Dec 8 07:06:25 PST 2000

On 2000-12-07, 20:10:28 (-0800), John D. Hardin wrote:
> Bjarni, do you have something along these lines for Anomy?

At the moment, I can't say I do.  Anomy currently implements one
kind of log, which is sent to one or both of two possible
destinations: stderr and embedded in the sanitized message itself.

I rely on external tools (such as procmail) to catch the log (when
sent to stderr) and do something useful with it.  As I said, this
is one thing I plan to improve.  I'm still pondering what is the
best/most portable strategy.  Does the Syslog module work on Win32
systems?

W.r.t. to how different files are mangled, Anomy implements a
rule-based system where you can specify a regular expression which
is compared to file names.  If it matches, the rule's policy is
enforced, if it doesn't the next rule in your list (which can be
as long as you need) is checked.  There is also a default policy
for attachments which don't match anything.

Policies can be:

   accept  - Accept the attachment
   mangle  - Completely obfuscate the file name and MIME-type
   defang  - Defang the file name and MIME-type (less aggressive)
   drop    - Delete the attachment
   save    - Remove the attachment, but save in quarantine
   panic   - Immediately stop processing the message and quit.
   unknown - Indeterminate result, try next rule.

Optionally, a rule can have a list of four policies, exit codes,
and an external virus scanner.  Which policy is used then depends
on what the virus scanner's exit code was when it scanned the
file.  This is sufficiently general to allow me to support any
standalone scanner out there... there is also a built-in macro
scanner based on your (John's) code.

All policies can be modified with a "!" character, which
increments the internal bug-counter past the threshold which makes
the sanitizer return a non-zero exit code.  If I add more flexible
logging I might end up adding more modifiers like you were
discussing.

Temporary files / saved files are saved to a file name generated
from a user-defined template.  Filename tmplates can contain
tokens for a "defanged" file-name, timestamps and random
characters.

Unnamed parts (parts with no file-name) are handled by mapping
interesting MIME-types to a default file-name.
Application/ms-tnef is thus internally processed as "winmail.dat"
even if there is no filename attribute in the original message.

I should probably take a copy of this message and include it in
the Anomy sanitizer's manual. :-)

 bre at klaki.net                -><-              http://bre.klaki.net/

Check out my open-source email sanitizer: http://mailtools.anomy.net/