[Esa-l] Re: Felix Navidad ... Stripping Attachments

Bjarni R. Einarsson bre at netverjar.is
Wed Dec 6 01:05:59 PST 2000

On 2000-12-05, 19:01:09 (-0800), John D. Hardin wrote:

> Are you sure you want to hear about every vcard that gets tossed?
>
> Everybody: should there be four options for strip-and-discard with
> *and* without notify? You do want to be notified on
> strip-and-quarantine, but I would assume if you've set a
> strip-and-discard policy you don't really care about what's being
> stripped and tossed.

<brainstorm>

How about sending a daily summary, with the "delay" perhaps overridden
by Really Bad Stuff?  I realize this is a little out of the scope of
the sanitizer (it would require a cron job or a hack), but it's really
important to keep frivolous email to a minimum without actually
decreasing feedback from the system.

At the moment the feedback from my sanitizer is quite unsatisfactory,
but this is one of the solutions I'm considering:  simply log all
actions to a file or via. syslog and providing a tool to grep the logs
and send a summary message to the admin every once in a while.

Hmm.  The same thing could also be accomplished by sending complete
email warnings to a mailing list address and subscribe admins to the
digest of the list.  So perhaps you should just keep the sanitizer
simple and verbose and suggest people use third-party tools to make the
email-flow managable?  A mailing list digest and web archive would make
a pretty nice system.

</brainstorm>

 bre at klaki.net                -><-              http://bre.klaki.net/

Check out my open-source email sanitizer: http://mailtools.anomy.net/