[Esa-l] *.exe has been added to the recommended poison list

Scott Taylor scott at dctchambers.com
Thu May 9 19:05:01 PDT 2002

At 11:53 AM 07/05/2002, John Hardin wrote:
>Okay, this tears it:
>
>     http://news.com.com/2100-1001-900050.html
>
>Due to the fact that Klez is being parasitized by other viruses, and
>that so many worms now use randomly-named .EXE file attachments, I have
>added *.EXE to the recommended default poison list file. This is in
>keeping with my default-secure (some may say "default-paranoid") stance
>for the sanitizer as a whole.
>
>If you wish to continue using the recommended poison list without *.EXE,
>you will have to script removing that filespec as part of your download
>process.
>
>This change is effective immediately.

John,

I like your way of thinking.  I run a few small networks and they all have
your beautiful Email Sanitizer on all the mail servers.  Thanks to you, I
have kept about 300, uninfected, mostly computer-illiterate-users, for the
last 3+ years now.  I like running a "tight ship".

Cheers.

Scott Taylor.