[esd-l] vacation forwarding

Scott Taylor scott at skot.org
Mon Aug 28 17:34:26 PDT 2006

On Mon, August 28, 2006 12:48, John D. Hardin wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Scott Taylor wrote:
>
>> This is a very quiet list, I like that. ;)
>
> The product is mature and stable...

Yes, it is, that's what I like about it.

Sorry I spelled your name wrong, earlier, that 'g' just wouldn't listen.  I
even knew better.

>    :0
>    | /usr/bin/vacation $LOGNAME
>
> Then you get the benefit of all the filtering (sanitizer,
> spamassassin, etc.) plus the vacation reply.
>
> PLEASE TEST THIS FIRST. I haven't actually done this myself, as I
> don't use vacation.

Yep, that works.  However, wouldn't it process mail even though it is SPAM?
Don't we need some logic control here?  The problem was: vacation sends
messages in reply to even SPAMmers.  I'm getting complaints of email being
filled with many bad email messages, from other, and even my own, mail
servers.  Error messages such as:
 503 No recipients specified
 451 4.4.1 reply: read error from xxx.xxxxxxxx.com.
 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
and so on.  Almost as bad as the SPAM it's self.

Thanks for the replies, John and Jon. :)

Scott.