[Esd-l] Email Sanitizer identify zip as Office attachments

mikechiarappa at libero.it mikechiarappa at libero.it
Wed Apr 21 10:35:57 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have installed E-mail Sanitizer, three days ago, into my Linux Server (SuSE 9.0 Pro, MTA postfix) and work good but it don't
scan .zip attachments.

I use this [/etc/procmailrc] file:

# /etc/procmail/procmailrc

PATH="/usr/bin:$PATH:/usr/local/bin"
SHELL=/bin/sh

POISONED_EXECUTABLES=/etc/procmail/poisoned-files
ZIPPED_EXECUTABLES=/etc/procmail/poisoned-files-zip
# STRIPPED_EXECUTABLES=/etc/procmail/stripped-files
SECURITY_NOTIFY="postmaster"
SECURITY_NOTIFY_VERBOSE=""
SECURITY_NOTIFY_SENDER=""
SECRET="ujytmhb24yfi2i42309tgh"
SECURITY_POISON_WINEXE=YES

# This file must already exist, with proper permissions (rw--w--w-):
SECURITY_QUARANTINE=/var/spool/mail/quarantine

POISONED_SCORE=25
# This file must already exist, with proper permissions (rw--w--w-):
SCORE_HISTORY=/var/log/macro-scanner-scores

# This file must already exist, with proper permissions (rw--w--w-):
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log

# DEBUG=YES
# DEBUG_VERBOSE=YES

# Use Perl CPAN Modules MIME::Base64 and File::mktemp
USE_CPAN=YES

# Finished setting up, now run the sanitizer...
INCLUDERC=/etc/procmail/html-trap.procmail

# Reset some things to avoid leaking info to
# the users...
POISONED_EXECUTABLES=
ZIPPED_EXECUTABLES=
STRIPPED_EXECUTABLES=
SECURITY_NOTIFY=
SECURITY_NOTIFY_VERBOSE=
SECURITY_NOTIFY_SENDER=
SECURITY_QUARANTINE=
SECRET=

# --- End of /etc/procmail/procmailrc

For test I have sended an email with the attach file [fakevirus.zip] and have noted in [procmail.log] this row:

Checking Office document "=?iso-8859-1?Q?fakevirus.zip?=" for poisoning.

Seems that Sanitizer don't recognize attachment as a zip file but as an Office file.
I have tried to disable perl packages MIME::Base64 and File::MkTemp using [mimencode] and [mktemp] esternal commands
instead, and setting USE_CPAN=OFF, but the result is the same.

Do you have some suggestion or hint about this problem ?
Now I have inserted *.zip files into POISON_EXECUTABLES list.... :-))

Thank you.

Mike Chiarappa
mikechiarappa at libero.it