[Esd-l] Red Hat 9...

Brad sanitiseruser at capstone.net.au
Sat Jul 19 17:37:16 PDT 2003

I have just replaced a Red Hat 7.3 mail server with new hardware and Red Hat
9. I have managed to get everything working properly except the Sanitizer. I
have managed to get it working without the MS Office macro scanning, and
according to the Sanitizer home page:

"If you wish to scan attachments for Office macros, you must have mimencode
(which is a part of the metamail package) and mktemp (from OpenBSD)
installed."

mktemp comes with Red Hat 9 and so I have searched for an RPM for metamaiil
but have only been able to find a Red Hat 7.3 version. I have downloaded the
7.3 source RPM and tried to build a v9 RPM from it, but it fails with:

make[1]: cc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [metamail.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/mm2.7/src/metamail'
make: *** [basics] Error 2

I have then downloaded the file listed on the Sanitizer page:

http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/metamail-2.7-RH.tar.gz

and followed the instructions to build it:

# make
(cd metamail ; make  CONFIGDIR=../.  CFLAGS="-g -I.   " CC="cc"  LDLIBS="")
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/metamail/SOURCES/mm2.7/src/metamail'
rm -f metamail.o
cc -c  -I../. -g -I.    metamail.c
make[1]: cc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [metamail.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/metamail/SOURCES/mm2.7/src/metamail'
make: *** [basics] Error 2

I'm not sure what "cc" is but I suspect that it may have something to do with
C++: I am not a develper.

I have then gone to http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/~trey/emacs/metamail.html and
downloaded their release of metamail and only achieved the same results.

Can anyone offer any help re: getting mimencode for Red Hat 9?

Regards,
Brad