[Esd-l] Problems with spamc/spamd and procmail

Vadim Pushkin wiskbroom at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 19 09:55:54 PST 2003

Greetings:

First, my setup:

I am running OpenBSD (i386) with:

spamassassin (spamc mode as it is running spamass for entire domain,
actually two domains)
sendmail w/ procmail
Server above is an inbound relay, though some of my users use it as an
outbound relay as
well, I may soon prevent that.

I have been using the e-mail sanitizer now for almost a year, however I do
not think that I
am using it properly.  My filter.rc is pretty much a stock one, it calls,
via INCLUDERC, several
other filters (See below).  The one problem that I have is that I only see
one INCLUDERC
actually being called up in my log (See atachment for procmail-log.)

Another problem that I am having, and please forgive me if this is being
posted to the wrong
list, is with spamassassin. I am running spamc within my
spamassassin-procmail file, and if I try
to also run spamassasin on the same message, my machine freaks out, runs our
of memory and
crashes. However, it does seem to catch more spam than when I run just
spamc, I know
because I place spam in different mailboxes based on which program caught
it.

My questions are as follows:

1. How come senders who send attachments to my users are not notified that
their attachments
    have been sent to hell? I thought that I had this feature enabled,
perhaps in the wrong place?
    Which is the right place, and what variable?

2. How do I make certain that all of my other procmail rules, called up from
within filter.rc, are
    being called upon and see how they perform?

3. Is there a webmin tool for e-mail sanitizer? Hey, one can wish, no?

4. Does anyone see anything wrong from looking at my logfile?

Thank you in advance,

--VaP

###########################
# filter.rc
###########################
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log
NL="
"
LOGABSTRACT=no
POISONED_EXECUTABLES=/etc/procmail/poisoned
INCLUDERC=/etc/procmail/dev-null-bad-addresses
INCLUDERC=/etc/procmail/local-rules.procmail
INCLUDERC=/etc/procmail/html-trap.procmail
INCLUDERC=/etc/procmail/respond2blankmsgs.procmail
INCLUDERC=/etc/procmail/spamassassin.procmail

# send the mail on to the next relay
:0

   Vadim Anatoly Pushkin
-- The Ukranian Stallion --