[Esd-l] A couple of questions and an unchecked extension

Juan Maria Gil jmg at olinet.es
Mon Sep 2 23:57:01 PDT 2002

Hi everybody,

This is my first submission to this list and, too bad, is not to give help
but to ask a couple of questions.

But before asking them, altough I supose that everyone knows it, beware of
files with ".cpl" extensions, I've had to add this extension to the mangle
list to prevent the spread of the Duni worm on my system.

I've found that macro check cannot effectively poison a message whose
attachement isn't mangled as Office documents that can be checked for macro
viruses without being on the mangle list. After reading the archives of this
list I've understood that the only way of preventing this message to reach
its recipient is by activating the quarentine option. So far I'm doing this
but I'd like to know if there is any alternative.

I've noticed that when a message is stripped of its attachment the sender
isn't notified as with poisoning. Is this the normal behaviour?. Can it be
changed?. I've read on the archives a few cuestions about this subject but
no one answer.

Greetings from Spain.
Juan Maria.