[Esd-l] macro scanner: defang instead of refuse

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Wed Jun 5 10:51:02 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 04:53, Floyd Pierce wrote:
> Your lack of knowledge regarding Unix permissions must be legendary.

Instead of getting into a DSW, can we keep this list informative? I
already know how Unix permissions work. I need to know if it's possible
to teach a non-technical NT/2k/XP workstation user how to use local
ACL's to share files selectively. Let's not drive the Windows experts
away.

I am inclined to agree that NTFS ACL's provide more fine-grained access
control. (I understand that there's a move afoot to add ACL's to Linux
filesystems.) However, I don't really understand how the system works
when one factors in multiple NT/2k domains and local workstation logins.

In the case I'm currently working with, each company site has its own
domain, and all are connected by a VPN-based WAN, with trust
relationships between the domains. A user at a local workstation creates
a document and wants to share it with local users and users at other
company sites (ie. in other 2k trusted domains). The selection of users
is ad-hoc and spur of the moment. What does he do? The current solution
is email. How can we improve on this?