[Esd-l] macro scanner: defang instead of refuse

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Mon Jun 3 16:30:03 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 15:50, John D. Hardin wrote:

> How is managing a group membership list easer than managing a mailing
> list alias entry (or delegating individual mailing list management
> onto a dozen or more users)?
>
> Some points to ponder:

All good points, which I plan to use.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking of the case of a file making it from originator
through various managers at different sites and in different companies
for markup before it finally gets blessed.

Group membership management on a Windows share implies training users to
grant access to others. They already know how to pick names out of their
address book. Most think that email is "secure enough", so they might
not be concerned with limiting access to a file on a company-wide public
share. Otherwise one faces the battle of teaching them how to set up
permissions and they then have to worry about what happens if they screw
up and a boss can't get in.