[Esd-l] HELP on a mail gateway =(

Scott Taylor scott at dctchambers.com
Fri Aug 9 11:19:01 PDT 2002

At 10:44 AM 09/08/2002, Ing Juan Pablo Feria wrote:
>On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 09:14, Scott Taylor wrote:
>

> > Then you will need to set up a relay system, but it would get relayed
> > before it hit the procmail filters.  Can't IMail server run procmail?  I
> > know you can run Perl on Windoze things.
>
>I dont  think so =), from PROCMAIL FAQ

>Q: Is there a Procmail for Windows NT?
>
>A: No, and it's somewhat unlikely that anybody would undertake a port.
>Read Bart Schaefer's excellent summary of the problems. Excerpt: "I've
>seriously looked at porting it to NT, yes. The problems are pretty
>severe."

HAHA!  Yes, now I remember seeing that before too. :)

> > >CAN THIS BE THE PROBLEM?
> > >
> > >instead of this:
> > >
> > ># pipe through procmail for processing
> > >R$*<@domain.com>$*     $#procmail $@/etc/procmail/filter.rc
> > >$:$1<@domain.com.procmail.>$2
> > >

> > >this:
> > >
> > ># pipe through procmail for processing
> > >R$*<@domain.com>$*     $#procmail $@/etc/procmail/filter.rc
> > >$:$1<@imail.domain.com.>$2
> >
> > Have you tried it?
>
>Yes, here are the logs for both configs:
>
>NOTES: both configurations try to re-send the message, the first to
>vhea at domain.com.procmail and the second one to vhea at imail.domain.com
>the first one is not a valid domain, the second one gets a host not
>found error, but if i send a mail to vhea at imail.domain.com from other
>computer (using the same name server) the mail is sent to the imail
>server, so is not a DNS problem.

Are you sure?   Sending mail from the consol can have different effects
then from a client.  Try: "host imail.domain.com" to see if it is resolved,
if so, try with "-t MX" switch.

>If I issue a "mail -v vhea at imail.domain.com"  in the sendmail+procmail
>box i got the same error (host not found) in the log
>
>Aug  8 08:46:05 ShProtect sm-mta[333]: g78Fk4Vs000330: g78Fk5Vs000333:
>DSN: Host unknown (Name server: imail.domain.com: host not found)

Then there is no way for sendmail to resolve the name, so DNS is not set up
for the machine you are trying to send to.  You can send mail to other
machines from the sendmail box right?

> > Can you send mail from the sendmail server to the imail server?
>
>No
>

>  Maybe you
> > could write a bounce at the end of procmail to forward the message from
> > sendmail.domain.com to imail.domain.com.
>
>Any pointers to do that?

First, you must resolve the first problem: getting mail to imail.domain.com

> > Is imail.domain.com an Internet FQDN or only on a LAN?
>
>is on internet, a valid name

try the host commands.
Feel free to send me the two FQDN's privately and I'll have a look at the
DNS for you, maybe I can see something.  Also send me a private email from
both machines and I can have a look at the actual headers.

> > You are not really using "domain.com" right?
>

>nop ,spammers are dangerous =)

:)

> > If it wasn't a Windows box I'm sure you would find a lot more help, like
> > fetchmail or something.  Maybe there is a fetchmail type thingy for
> Windoze
> > or IMail?
>
>Will need to take a look on that

Good, let us know what you find; I refuse to search for things for M$
servers. =P