[Esa-l]Sendmail Distribution Lists

IT Department - CI Holding Group, Inc. it at ciholding.com
Thu Jul 26 08:02:04 PDT 2001

At 08:40 AM 7/26/2001 -0500, Leonard L. Goldenstein wrote:
>Sendmail expanded the list and attempted to deliver the sircam to all
>recipients in the list.  The local recipients were protected by John's
>excellent procmail script but the sircam was forwarded on to the external
>e-mail addresses listed in the distribution list.
>Now is there any way to do the procmail check before a distribution list is
>expanded?  Might save some people a little embarrassment in the future :)

Hi Leonard!

We had the same damn thing happen to us, but it was the W32.Navidad virus
(or some strain thereof), which was proliferated across about 300 addresses
(only about 15 local).

The best way I found was to use a mailing list (such as Majordomo) and
restrict posting to local addresses and/or a flat file of acceptable addresses.

Thank god our internal users didn't get hit, and we spread the word faster
than the original message could get anybody!

Good luck,

tmp