[Esa-l] Question: is requiring GNU gettext okay?

Bjarni R. Einarsson bre at klaki.net
Mon Feb 19 14:14:45 PST 2001

On 2001-02-19, 12:04:19 (-0800), John D. Hardin wrote:

> Given this and Brett's objection on philosophical grounds :) I'm also
> looking at the pure-Perl implementation of the gettext functionality.
>
> Can anybody suggest another internationalization alternative for Perl?

With perl it's simple enough to roll your own, which is more or less
what I did with my sanitizer (internationalization is just part of the
configuration file).

Speaking as a translator (I've been part of the Icelandic KDE
translation team for the past two years) I must say that using gettext
will provide potential translators with a familiar interface - which
is of course A Good Thing(tm).

 bre at klaki.net                -><-              http://bre.klaki.net/

Check out my open-source email sanitizer: http://mailtools.anomy.net/