[Esa-l]Sircam with application/mixed

Tomaz Borstnar tomaz.borstnar at over.net
Wed Aug 1 07:33:41 PDT 2001

At 01:22 1.8.2001, John D. Hardin wrote the following message:
>On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Lee Howard wrote:
>
> > Currently I'm seeing 40-50 instances of Sircam get caught daily,
> > but I am seeing some few get through.
>
>Get through the virus scanner to the sanitizer, or get through the
>combination to the end user?
>
> > The only oddity about them that I notice is this:

> attachment;  filename="eurotecnica.doc.6177DEFANGED-bat"

Not sure if it was Sircam or not, but yesterday a client called me about
problem with receiving mail - it turned out to be some trojan hiding in
attachments which were labeled as image/gif, but filename was cfgwiz32.exe.
This caused Netscape 4.76 to crash each time they tried to get the mail.

This would probably work with m$ mail clients since they often ignore mime
types and file extensions to process the file.

Maybe use something like file (the command) to find and filter such things?

Tomay