[Esa-l] Update on POISONED Failure

Graham Dunn gdunn at inscriber.com
Wed Jul 26 06:43:25 PDT 2000

Hi,

I use html-trap.procmail to filter mail as it goes through our primary
MX host to our Exchange server. There are no user accounts on the
primary MX server.

I've configured sendmail to use procmail as the mailer for all of the
mail coming to our domain (@inscriber.com) via the mailertable database
FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db') statement in
your .mc file when generating sendmail.cf.

/etc/mail/mailertable looks like:
inscriber.com           procmail:/etc/special-procmailrc

Where /etc/special-procmailrc contains the INCLUDERC line for
html-trap.procmail.

The tricky bit is then getting the mail delivered to the mail hub from
procmail.

The only way I could figure out how to do this was to have the last
recipie in /etc/special-procmailrc be one that delivers to sendmail,
calling _another_ sendmail.cf:

:0                      # pass along all other mail
! -C/etc/sendmail.cf.post-procmail -f "$@"

Where /etc/sendmail.cf.post-procmail sends everything to the Exchange
hub :

define(`MAIL_HUB', mail.inorth.com)

The last step is the one I dislke the most, as it means that two copies
of sendmail are running for every mail message that comes in. If anyone
has any suggestions on how to get procmail to deliver mail directly to
our Exchange server (i.e. skip sendmail in the last step), I'd love to
hear it.

Thanks,
Graham

PS. Since we've installed Mr. Hardin's filter, we've prevented 5 email
worm outbreaks in the two months it's been running. I cannot overstate
how pleased I am with it :]

--
  gdunn at inscriber.com	  Graham Dunn         || ||| | ||| |||| | |||| |
  PGP Key fingerprint = 3F 56 12 9B 8A E1 77 CB  F0 62 94 B0 93 06 1E 88